Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Nantucket Game

So we played Nantucket today and we lost by a lot. It was disappointing, but we can learn from the mistakes we made.

I did try to focus on the goals I set yesterday and I think I did a good job. I did a lot better at defending. When I was down at the defensive end of the field I stayed aggressive; keeping myself between the player and the goal and covering their stick. I even checked once and I was so surprised that I just kind of watched the ball roll away. Next time this won't happen. I think I met my goal of improving my defensive skills today but, I will continue to try to improve.

As far as scoring, I didn't get a goal this game but I will continue to try. This game I really didn't have a chance to shoot. I was also careful with my passing. I only passed if it was absolutely necessary or very beneficial. I won't meet this goal until I score three goals.

Although my friend was the speaking captain today, I still worked on leading the team, especially the offence as my friend is on defense. I think I was a better leader this game. I was more aware of what everyone else was doing and how we could work together.

I could improve on communication. In lacrosse, there are two offensive midfield players. Only one of them is allowed on defense at a time. Today, I was playing right attack wing, and the left attack wing kept changing. I talked to a couple of the girls who played the position to decide who would be the one to get back on defense when necessary, but one girl I didn't talk to. This lack of communication turned out to be a problem because twice we both went up and we got in trouble from the refs. If I had talked to her it would have been better. I need to keep on talking.

Communication is important to the team in a lot of ways. Although mouth guards make talking difficult, language is so important to working together as a team. Maybe I will bring this up in practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment