Saturday, April 3, 2010

First Game

Today we had our first lacrosse game of the season. It was so much fun. Games are reminders of what practice is for. I think what happened today will definitely be a motivator for how I and the rest of the team practices this whole next week. Hopefully games will keep us motivated throughout the season.

We actually arrived at the Fairhaven field an hour and 20 minutes early. This gave us plenty of time to show the new players what a real field actually looks like and also to warm up. We practiced catching and throwing the most, but we also did a couple half-field scrimmages and 4 laps around our half of the field. Catching is one thing I really have to keep working on. It's not like I don't know how to catch, but I usually drop the ball once its in my net. When I am nervous I usually drop the ball more. I think I can work on catching and throwing at home so that in games I will be more relaxed about it. I will also, of course, practice catching at lacrosse practices, but I think its important to work on things at home. Practice makes perfect is really true. The more you do something, the more it becomes an instinct and the less you have to think about it. I also think that when I or other players practice lacrosse at home, we are really taking responsibility for our actions and increasing our contribution to the team. It’s one thing to learn at practice, while your coaches and teammates are watching, but I think people show true commitment when they use their free time to increase their skill for the benefit of the team. I hope I will do that for my team. Actually, I might as well set a goal. I will try to practice lacrosse for at least 2 hours (the length of a normal practice) every week outside of practice. I think this will benefit me and my team.

Today was not only the first game, but it was also my first time ever acting as a captain. Although we haven't picked captains for our team yet, I got to be captain for the day. The only thing really different was that I had to go up for the coin toss and thank the refs at the end. I think I did ok at this, I think, again, that practice would help. If I get to be a captain again, I will know more about what to say and stuff. The other part of being a captain, besides representing your team to the refs, is to lead the team. I wasn't sure exactly how to this. Because this was our first game, I was still getting back into how to play and everything, so it was hard for me to give instructions to other players. Plus my mouth guard was not molded right so no one could understand me when I tried to talk. It was kind of funny actually. But yeah, I did let my left attack wing know to stay behind the restraining line, but otherwise there wasn't much I could think to say. I just gave it my all. I ran so much. No matter what side of the field the ball was on, that is where I went. I think playing my hardest benefitted the team more than if I had tried to give instructions to other players. That is what the coach is for. I think what I'll do for games is I'll give instructions if someone keeps fowling or if someone looks really lost, but otherwise I'll just play hard. I think practice is more the time for talking. That's another thing- right before the game, some of the freshmen had a bunch of questions. I don't know if I answered them all. I want to make sure that they understand everything and that they feel comfortable asking questions. I might try to talk to them at practice. I was glad to be captain today.

I think I worked pretty well with others today. I wasn't passed to a ton, but there were always a lot of people on me. I have to keep trying to get open and to be in helpful positions. I passed a lot, which was good most of the time. Sometimes, though, I can just keep the ball and try to shoot. I will try both of these things in upcoming scrimmages and games.

I showed commitment, by waking up at 7 on a Saturday morning.

I think I helped the underclassmen by answering questions and I will check to see if they have more questions.

I didn't score any goals today, I got close though and I will continue to work on this.

I had fun today. I think everyone played well and we had a good game. I think things will only improve from here...or at least I hope so, that is what I'll work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment